Chocolate Hazelnut Meringue with Frangelico Cream
( SERVES 10 )
A delicious and gorgeous meringue - great for those who are gluten-free.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|8||Free-range eggs, whites|
|300 g||Caster sugar|
|1 tbsp||Dutch cocoa powder|
|120 g||Roasted hazelnuts, skinned and lightly crushed|
|400 g||Dark chocolate|
|30 ml||Dark rum|
- Heat oven to 100 degC.
- Whisk egg whites in a mixer, on medium to high speed until stiff.
- Add sugar in 3 Separate additions, whisking for 30 seconds between each addition.
- Remove mixing bowl from mixer and add corn flour, cocoa and hazelnuts.
- Gently fold ingredients together until just combined. (Over-folding will knock out too much air.)
- Divide the mixture between 3 baking trays, lined with baking paper and marked out with a 28cm circle on each piece of paper.
- Spread meringue mixture evenly around the circle with a spatula and bake in for 1 ½ hours.
- Turn off oven and allow meringues to cool completely.
- To assemble, melt chocolate pieces in a bowl over simmering water and remove from heat before stirring in cream and finally rum.
- When the ganache is still slightly runny but almost set, pour half on the first meringue. Spread evenly over the meringue before
- placing the next meringue disc on top. Pour on the last of the ganache and place the final meringue disc on top.
- Allow 1 hour for the ganache to fully set before cutting.
- Serve with Frangelico cream and a generous dust of Dutch cocoa powder and icing sugar.
- Frangelico cream: Whisk the cream, sugar and frangelico together to soft peaks.
Tip: Keeps for 2 days in the fridge.