Iranian chicken with green rice
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This Iranian chicken dish has the delicious, sweet flavour of the honey and the sour of the molasses. With simple rice, dill and broad beans folded through, it is absolutely delicious. Pomegranate molasses can be found in specialty shops. If that's not available, use pomegranate juice with a little extra honey.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|8||Boneless chicken thighs|
|¼ cup||Fresh lime juice|
|½ tsp||Ground cardamom|
|1||Aubergine, sliced 1cm thick|
|1 cup||Walnuts, finely ground|
|1 cup||Pomegranate molasses|
|¼ cup||Runny honey|
|1 tbsp||Tomato paste|
|1 cup||Chicken stock|
|1 to serve||Pomegranate seeds, (optional)|
|1 cup||Basmati rice, cooked then cooled|
|1 pinch||Saffron, soaked in the warm water|
|¼ cup||Water, warm|
|50 g||Broad beans|
|¼ cup||Dill, chopped|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Preheat oven to 175 degC.
- Place chicken in a bowl and pour over lime juice. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Add onions and cook 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Stir through cardamom and cinnamon, and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Add chicken and brown on both sides, then add to the onions.
- In the same pan, heat oil and fry aubergine until just starting to soften. Place in the oven dish.
- Mix together walnuts, pomegranate molasses, honey, bay leaves, tomato paste and chicken stock. Pour over chicken.
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes covered. Remove lid and cook a further 10 minutes. Serve with green rice.
- Green Rice: Heat butter in a frying pan.
- Toss all ingredients together and serve hot.