( SERVES 12 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
For a real sweet treat, neenish tarts are simply the best. This batch was devoured before the day was done. Neenish tarts bring back memories of hopping off the school bus ravenous and heading for the biscuit tins, which were always full of home baking. It was a real find when these little treats were waiting. The fillings can vary a little, but I am a lemon fan, so this version is my favourite.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy, add egg and beat again.
- Mix in flour and combine until you have a ball of dough.
- Roll on a lightly floured board. Cut 12 circles to fit tart tins. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170 degC. Prick base of the pastry with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from tins when cool enough.
- For the filling, soften butter, add icing sugar, condensed milk and juice and mix well. Even filling out into pastry cases and chill.
- Melt white chocolate with half the cream, and dark with remaining cream.
- Stir each until smooth. When cool enough, ice the tarts, one half dark and the other half white.