Seared Beef, Star Anise & Coriander Pho
( SERVES 4 )
Vietnamese food is one of the healthiest cuisines in the world, thanks to its minimal use of oil.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 packet||Rice noodles, 250g, dried|
|1 dash||Grapeseed oil|
|500 g||Beef sirloin, prime steak|
|1½ Ltr||Vegetable stock|
|1 tbsp||Fish sauce|
|2 tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1 cup||Mung bean sprouts|
|1||Bok choy, sliced|
|11||Baby pak choy, sliced|
|1||Long red chilli|
|1 to serve||Coriander leaves|
|1 to serve||Coriander, stalk|
- Soak the noodles in warm water for 1 hour or as directed on the packet.
- Place onion and garlic in a large saucepan with a dash of grapeseed oil and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cloves, star anise, cinnamon, vegetable stock, fish sauce, soya sauce and coriander stalks. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and seal in a hot fry-pan until coloured. Remove and rest.
- Strain and return broth to saucepan. Bring back to the boil.
- Place the drained noodles, sliced beef, bok choy, mung beans, pak choy and spring onions into serving dishes.
- Pour the hot broth over the top and finish with the chilli, coriander and wedge of lime.