Celeriac soup with beer, salted fish and honey
( SERVES 4 )
This recipe is all about sharing the love, something warm and cosy with a touch of the avant garde to see us through the last of the cooler weather.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- To salt the tarakihi, mix the salt, sugar, beer and orange zest together and massage into the fish. Leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Sweat the celeriac gently in a saucepan with some olive oil. Do not allow it to colour. Once it begins to soften add the white wine and reduce to a syrup.
- Add the stock and boil until reduced by half.
- Add the cream and simmer until celeriac breaks to touch.
- Transfer to a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Remember to season lightly through each step and to always taste test each time.
- Meanwhile, wash salt and beer cure off the fish, pat dry with a paper towel then place in a hot saucepan with a little oil and sear on both sides.
- To serve, reheat the soup and pour into bowls. Place the tarakihi on top followed by a swirl of honey and a sprinkle of chives.