Saucy vegetable lasagne
( SERVES 6 )
A traditional lasagne bolognese is made by layering pasta with sauce, made with ragù, bechamel and parmesan.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degC.
- Heat a large pot of water and cook the pumpkin and kumara pieces for 4-5 minutes until just tender when pierced.
- Add the zucchini, mushrooms and pepper to the water and cook for a further minute.
- Drain the veges and spread them out on a large tray.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan until bubbling, then add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until pale golden.
- Gradually add the hot milk while stirring until smooth. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, add the cheese and season well. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Spoon about ¼ of the pasta sauce over the base of a 28 x 19cm baking dish or similar.
- Add a sheet of pasta, then layer it – cheese sauce, pasta sheets, tomato sauce, veges – until you have finished (the cheese sauce should be on top).
- Sprinkle with parmesan.Bake for 40-50 minutes until it is golden and bubbling (check the pasta is cooked by piercing with a knife).
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with a fresh green salad as a side dish.