Vegetable & ricotta tart
( SERVES 6 )
Enjoy this delicious colourful tart with a green salad for a lunch or Sunday night dinner. The ricotta makes the tart more substantial, and you can use shortcrust pastry if you prefer.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 sheets||Flaky puff pastry|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 clove||Crushed garlic|
|300 g||Pumpkin, peeled and diced|
|60 g||Baby spinach|
|1||Zucchini, sliced into rounds|
|250 g||Ricotta cheese|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1||Red pepper, roasted (I used one from the deli section of the supermarket, drained and sliced)|
|2 tbsp||Pine nuts|
- Preheat the oven to 185 degC.
- Use the semi-thawed pastry to line a 26cm fluted loose-bottom tart tin, or similar, and trim to fit. Chill until required.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant, then set aside to cool.
- Simmer the pumpkin in salted water for 5-8 minutes until just tender, then add the spinach and zucchini.
- Cook for 1 minute and drain well on paper towels. In a separate bowl, add the eggs, ricotta and seasoning, and whisk to combine.
- Arrange pumpkin and veges with sauted onion in the pastry tin.
- Pour over the egg mixture (let it settle between the veges) and decorate the top with red pepper slices and a sprinkle of pine nuts.
- Bake on the lower oven shelf for 35-45 minutes until the pastry is golden and the centre is set.
- Serve with a pile of fresh greens or herbs, and a drizzle of olive oil. This is great for using up last night’s leftover veges.