Honey & Citrus Baklava
This Middle Eastern favourite is a very rich treat using nuts and spices and doused in a fragrant citrus syrup.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|70 g||Pistachio nuts|
|70 g||Macadamia nuts|
|1 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|1 tbsp||Orange, zest|
|12 sheets||Filo pastry|
For the Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- In the food processor, combine nuts, spices and sugar, and pulse to make fine crumbs, then add the orange zest.
- Brush each sheet of filo generously with the melted butter and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of the nut mixture.
- Fold the sheet in half to enclose the mixture, then arrange in a baking tin or ovenproof dish of the same size.
- Repeat with remaining filo and nut mixture. Press the top layer down firmly and cut into a diamond pattern.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Simmer syrup ingredients for about 5 minutes and spoon it over the filo. Set aside to soak.