Venison meatballs with red wine plum sauce and celeriac mash
( SERVES 4 )
Venison is an extremely lean meat, so don’t overcook the meatballs. The mash and meatballs can be made in advance and re-heated when ready to serve.
Nadia Lim cooks a healthy and delicious dinner party that can be prepared in advance, making your night stress-free. Have a look at Entrée – Smoked salmon, beetroot and orange salad with crème fraiche and Dessert – Baked ricotta cheesecake with tamarillos
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|500 g||Venison mince|
|3 tbsp||Onions, minced|
|1 tbsp||Thyme, chopped|
|1 tsp||Allspice, ground|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|250 g||Mushrooms, swiss brown or button, stems removed, quartered|
|3 tbsp||Tomato paste|
|¾ cup||Red wine|
|¾ cup||Beef stock, or chicken stock|
|1 can||Crushed tomatoes|
|3 tbsp||Plum jam|
|½ cup||Flat leaf parsley, chopped, to garnish|
- In a large mixing bowl, mix venison mince, onion, breadcrumbs, thyme, salt, allspice and egg together (with your clean hands), until well combined.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan (preferably non-stick) on medium to high heat, and brown meatballs, in batches, for about 1-2minutes each side. Set meatballs aside as you cook them.
- Keep frying pan on medium heat and add another drizzle of olive oil. Cook onion, garlic and mushrooms until onion is soft, 4-5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, red wine, beef or chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and plum jam. Simmer sauce until reduced and thickened (about 8-10 minutes) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add back meatballs, cover with a lid and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve meatballs and sauce with celeriac mash and vegetables (broccoli or wilted spinach) on the side.
- Cut skin off 500-600g celeriac with a sharp knife and chop into 3cm cubes.
- Peel and chop 400g potatoes into 3cm cubes.
- Cook celeriac and potatoes in boiling salted water until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and mash with a knob of butter and 1/3 cup of milk, and season to taste.