Bread and Butter Pudding with Meringue
( SERVES 6 )
I think it's a combination of a traditional British pudding and a Bread and Butter pudding, however this is how we knew it back in the 70s.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|10||Toast bread slices, crustless|
|1 to spread||Raspberry jam|
|1 tsp||Pure vanilla extract|
- Preheat your oven to 180 degC
- Butter 10 slices of crustless white toast bread and spread with raspberry jam.
- Cut these crossways into triangles.
- Layer these into a shallow baking dish, overlapping the slices and scatter half a cup of sultanas in between the slices.
- Whisk together 4 whole eggs and 3 cups of milk.
- Add a teaspoon of pure vanilla essence and the zest of half a lemon.
- Pour this over the bread and allow the bread to absorb all this mix.
- Place the filled baking dish into the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes, the egg and milk mix should be set, leave a little longer if it is not.
- Carefully remove the hot dish and turn the oven up to 190 degC
- Whisk together egg whites until just firm.
- Stream in the castor sugar, with the beater still turning.
- Beat until smooth and glossy.
- Spread this across the top of the pudding and return to the oven.
- Cook until the meringue is set and a little coloured.