Carrot cake with cashew coconut icing
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 cups||Walnuts, raw, halves and pieces|
|2 cups||Desiccated coconut|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 pinch||Ground nutmeg|
|¼ tsp||Ground ginger|
|2 tbsp||Psyllium powder|
|3||Carrots, large, peeled and grated|
|4||Medjool dates, fresh, pitted and coarsely chopped|
|¼ cup||Maple syrup|
|1½ cups||Coconut, fresh flesh|
|½ cup||Cashew nuts, raw, unsalted|
|¼ cup||Coconut water|
|1 tbsp||Maple syrup|
|1||Lemon, large juiced and zest grated|
To make the cake:
- Combine the walnuts, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and psyllium powder in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. Set this mixture aside.
- Combine the grated carrots, dates and maple syrup in the bowl of the food processor.
- Pulse until the mixture is well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Stir the carrot mixture with the spice mixture until well blended.
- Fold in the currants and zest of the lemon and orange. Stir to blend well.
- Line a 30cm (4 x 11 inch) loaf pan with baking paper.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan, pressing it firmly into all corners.
- Smooth the top with a spatula and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
To make the icing:
- Combine the coconut flesh and cashew nuts in a blender.
- Blend until the coconut is well chopped and the nuts are well ground.
- Add the coconut water, maple syrup, lemon juice and zest to the mixture and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Invert the chilled cake on to a large platter and remove the baking paper from the bottom of the cake.
- Generously spread the top and sides of the cake with the coconut icing.
- Chill the frosted cake until the icing hardens. Keep the cake refrigerated.