Slow-Roasted Middle Eastern-style-Lamb Leg
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
Beautifully slow-roasted lamb is a delight to share with dinner guests. The harissa is good to spread on the flat bread to moisten it or to drizzle over the lamb for some extra flavour and it keeps well in the refrigerator.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1||Leg of lamb|
|3 cm||Crushed ginger, fresh|
|3 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1 bunch||Coriander, small, chopped|
|1||Lemon, rind and juice|
|4 tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 tsp||Black pepper|
|1 tsp||Ground cloves|
|1 tsp||Fennel seeds|
|2 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
Salad & Sauce
|1 cup||Plain unsweetened yoghurt|
|1 tsp||Flaky sea salt|
|1 cup||Mint leaves|
|2 tsp||Sumac powder|
|120 g||Tomatoes, chopped|
|20 g||Tomato paste|
|20 g||Harissa paste|
|1 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt|
- Score the surface of the lamb with a sharp knife, making 2cm slits in the fat and skin.
- Put the ginger, garlic, coriander, lemon rind and juice and oil in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the spice mix ingredients and stir in. Rub the marinade over the surface of the lamb, working it into the cuts.
- Leave it at room temperature for an hour or refrigerate overnight so the flavours are absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degC.
- Put the lamb into a roasting pan with 2 cups of water, cover with foil, then roast for about 3½ hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Baste often with the liquid in the pan. Remove the foil, then increase the heat a little for 20-30 minutes so the skin becomes crisp.
- Remove from the oven and rest the meat before slicing.
- Serve with Middle Eastern-style flat bread and the accompaniments listed below.
Cucumber, mint & yoghurt salad
- Peel the cucumber lightly and cut into thin strips.
- Place these in a small serving bowl and toss well with the yoghurt and salt.
- Add the mint leaves and gently toss through so that they are just mixed but not drowned by the yoghurt.
- Sprinkle the sumac over the top and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Tomato & Harissa Sauce
Combine the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, harissa paste,tbsp olive oil and salt.