Flaky Pastry for savoury pies
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Grate the butter over the flour.
- Using 2 dinner knives quickly cut the butter into the flour. Sprinkle the water over as you go until the mixture forms large clumps.
- Gather the pastry in your hands and form into a ball. Pieces of butter should be visible. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Let fillings cool before spooning into the pastry - this can prevent the pastry base becoming soggy.
- The filling can be pretty much anything. Make way for delicious slow-cooked meats, fragrant fruits and interesting seasonal vegetables.
- Use metal pie tins not glass or porcelain - metal transfers the heat best so the pastry is crisper.
- Don't forget to egg wash the pastry (resulting in the irresistible golden colour to the crust) and scatter seeds, vanilla sugar, a grind of black pepper before baking.