Apple & Berry Gluten-Free Pie
( SERVES 8 )
Granny Smith or Braeburn apples are suitable for this pie.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 cups||Gluten free flour mix|
|2 tbsp||Brown sugar|
|125 g||Cream cheese, chopped and softened|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
|1 kg||Apple, cooking type, peeled, cored and sliced|
|2 cups||Blackberries, fresh or frozen, or blackcurrants|
- Put baking mix, sugar and cream cheese in a food processor.
- Mix until cream cheese is incorporated. Add egg. Mix well.
- Shape pastry into a ball. Flatten then wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large, heavy frying pan. Add apples and sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are cooked and golden. Add berries and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in brandy then sprinkle in cornflour, cooking until thickened. Cool.
- Set oven to 200 degC. Spoon apple mixture into a 22cm pie plate.
- Roll out pastry to about 5mm thickness into a circle large enough to cover the plate plus a little extra.
- Brush rim of the pie plate with a little beaten egg. Cut 1cm strips of pastry and place around the rim.
- Brush the pastry rim with more egg. Carefully roll the pastry over the apple filling then trim the edges.
- Press edges together with a fork. Brush with more egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut a slit in centre top of pastry. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180 degC.
- Continue baking for 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the filling bubbling. Serve warm or at room temperature.