French onion soup
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|6||Large onions, sliced|
|4||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 Ltr||Beef stock|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|½||Baguette, sliced 2cm thick|
|100 g||Gruyere cheese, grated|
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add onions, garlic, bay leaves and thyme.
- On a low heat, soften onions and cook until they start to caramelise; this will take 20-25 minutes.
- If they start sticking to the bottom of the pan, add a small amount of water.
- Add the stock and wine, then simmer for 15 minutes, until the flavours infuse. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, slice the baguette, place on an oven tray and top with gruyere. Grill until the cheese is bubbling.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cheesy croutons.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve extra croutons on the side.