Turkey Katsu Sushi
I wanted to try something different here, so I used turkey instead of chicken. If you have some leftover turkey from a mid-winter feast, why not turn it into sushi?
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 cups||Panko breadcrumbs|
|1 to taste||White pepper|
|1||Turkey breast, (approx. size of 2 chicken breasts), cut into 1cm strips|
|4 cups||Sushi rice, 2x brown, 2x white, cooked|
|1||Apple, cored and sliced|
|¼ cup||Almonds, tamari style, crushed|
|16||Endive, leaves, torn in half|
|1||Grapefruit, red, cut into segments and diced, seeds removed|
FOR THE KATSU
- Beat egg whites and water together in a bowl.
- Season panko breadcrumbs with salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Dip turkey strips into egg-white mixture, then into seasoned panko crumbs.
- Heat a frying pan and add a little oil. Pan-fry strips until golden.
FOR THE SUSHI
- Lay nori sheet on a sushi mat shiny side down.
- Press sushi rice firmly and evenly over rough side of sheet.
- Place a quarter of the filling ingredients (turkey katsu, apple, almonds and endive) in a strip in the middle and roll up.
- Repeat with remaining nori sheets and filling.
- Slice each roll into eight pieces. Spoon grapefruit over the top.