Lamb rice ball
( SERVES 8 )
I made the rice ball from a mixture of brown and white short-grain sushi rice. You don’t need a sushi mat to roll it, just wrap it up in clingfilm. This was the biggest hit of the Japan Day game day on The Food Truck, and is an ideal option for kids’ lunchboxes.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tsp||Soy sauce, low-sodium|
|1 to taste||White pepper|
|500 g||Lamb rumps, sliced into stir-fry strips|
For each Lamb Ball
|1 cup||Sushi rice, 1/2 cup each of brown & white, cooked|
|1 tbsp||Chia seeds|
|1 tbsp||Sunflower seeds|
|1 tbsp||Flax seeds|
|1 tbsp||Cucumber, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp||Snow peas, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Mint, chopped|
FOR THE TERIYAKI
- Mix soy sauce, honey and pepper together. Add lamb and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan and add a little oil. Pan-fry lamb in batches. Cool.
FOR THE LAMB BALLS
- Place nori sheet on plastic wrap, shiny side down. Press sushi rice firmly and evenly over rough side of sheet.
- Mix seeds together and sprinkle over rice, patting them down.
- Cover with plastic wrap and turn over. Remove outside layer of plastic wrap.
- Pile teriyaki lamb (2tbsp for each), cucumber, snow peas and mint in the middle of the nori sheet.
- Pull corners of the plastic wrap together and form into a ball shape, twist the ends of the wrap together firmly.
- Place in refrigerator for a minimum of two hours to set, and unwrap to eat.