Mushroom, chicken and leek pie
( SERVES 4 )
This divine pie is guaranteed to become a family favourite and is a great recipe to use up any leftover roast chicken.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|3 pieces||Flaky puff pastry|
|1 tsp||Crushed garlic|
|250 g||Mushrooms, you can use a mixture of Swiss, white and field, or just one variety|
|1||Leek, medium sized, finely sliced|
|350 g||Chicken, cooked, shredded & finely sliced|
|1 cup||Chicken stock, hot|
|1 tsp||Wholegrain mustard|
|1 to taste||Sea salt and cracked black pepper|
|1||Egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk|
|1||Cracked black pepper|
|1 to serve||Bean, any seasonal greens|
- Preheat the oven to 190 degC.
- Use 1½ sheets of the pastry to line a 25cm pie tin or similar, trimming to fit neatly.
- Chill lined tin and extra pastry until required. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and saute garlic, mushrooms and leek for 4-5 minutes until the leeks are soft and fragrant.
- Add the chicken and sprinkle over the flour. Add the stock, stirring well, until smooth.
- Add the milk and season with mustard, sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until thick and saucy. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into the lined tin and brush the edge with egg wash.
- Cut the remaining pastry into 1cm strips and arrange in lattice pattern over the pie, crimping at the edges to seal.
- Brush the pastry lattice with egg wash and sprinkle with cracked pepper.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until the pastry is puffed and deep golden. Serve with seasonal greens.