Parsnip and apple soup with parsnip ribbons
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1||Onion, large, finely chopped|
|800 g||Parsnips, peeled and chopped|
|2||Apples, large, cored and chopped|
|1½ Ltr||Chicken stock, or vegetable|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook over a very low heat for about 20 minutes until it’s soft and barely coloured.
- Add the parsnip and apple, then cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little, then purée using a stick blender or food processor.
- Reheat to serve, adding the cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the parsnip chips, peel the parsnip, then use the peeler to make long, thin strips.
- Heat about 3cm of vegetable oil in a pan, then add the parsnip strips in batches, frying until golden.
- Drain on paper towels, then use as a garnish.