( SERVES 8 )
Spanakopita is a spinach filo pie that originates from Greece. This pie can be served as a main (lunch or dinner) and also cut into bite-sized pieces and passed around as canapes.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|400 g||Spinach, fresh leaf|
|250 g||Feta cheese|
|250 g||Cottage cheese|
|1 to taste||Ground pepper|
|1 tsp||Ground nutmeg|
|1 tbsp||Fresh dill, (or 1 tsp dried )|
|4||Spring onions, chopped|
|1||Puff pastry, pre-rolled|
- Wash and roughly cut the spinach. Leave to drain.
- Put uncooked spinach in large bowl, add breadcrumbs, eggs, cottage cheese, feta, pepper, spring onion, nutmeg and dill.
- Butter your baking dish and line it with puff pastry, you do not need to roll it any thinner (I used about 1½ sheets on my baking tray).
- Spread the spinach mixture on to this, and top with another pastry layer, pressing the top and bottom together to make a sandwich.
- Brush the top pastry sheet with oil and prick holes into it with a fork across the pie.
- Bake at 180 degC for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.