Eye Fillet of Beef with Hester Guy's Red Onion and Beetroot
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|4 tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|2 tbsp||Brown sugar, heaped|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|5 tbsp||Fresh thyme, leaves|
|1 kg||Eye fillet of beef|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Wash the beetroot and simmer in plenty of water until tender enough to peel – about an hour, depending on the size.
- Meanwhile, peel the onions, leaving the root end attached. Cut each onion into 6 wedges.
- Toss in a roasting pan with 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of the brown sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper, then roast for 30 minutes until the onion is tender but not too darkly caramelised. Set aside.
- Peel the beetroot, cut into segments and toss in a second roasting pan with the remaining vinegar.
- Then add the oil, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, the salt and pepper and some thyme leaves. Roast for about 15 minutes, tossing a couple of times. Cool.
- Combine the beetroot and onion wedges in one pan, tossing carefully, then cover with foil.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160 degC and reheat for 15 minutes to serve with the eye fillet.
- To cook the meat, season with a little extra olive oil, salt and pepper and the remaining thyme leaves.
- Heat a heavy ovenproof frying pan, then sear the meat on all sides. A little extra olive oil may be added to the pan.
- Once the meat is browned, place the pan in the oven. After 10 minutes, remove the meat and cover well with foil and a tea towel so it remains hot.
- Leave to rest for at least 10 minutes, then carve into neat slices and accompany with the red onion and beetroot mixture.
- Serve with roasted potatoes and steamed green beans.