Baked Aubergine, Tomato and Mozzarella
( SERVES 4 )
The essentail step in this recipe is to fry the aubergine slices in oil until almost collapsed. I have never worried about salting my aubergines before cooking them, because at this time of year they should be vine-ripened, so without a hint of bitterness. Serve as an entrée or to accompany grilled chicken or lamb.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1||Aubergine, large sized|
|6 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|2||Tomatoes, (beefsteak tomatoes)|
|1||Mozzarella cheese, large ball|
|½ cup||Tomato sauce, Italian-style (salsa or sugo)|
|1 handful||Basil leaves, or oregano|
|1 to taste||Freshly ground black pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Slice the aubergine into 3mm slices, then score the surface of each one with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle them with salt. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan, and when hot add the aubergine slices. Fry over a gentle heat until golden, turning so both sides are coloured and the aubergine is soft.
- Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.
- Arrange the aubergine slices in a small ovenproof dish to cover the base evenly. Slice the tomatoes and place on top. Cut the mozzarella into thin slices and completely cover thetomatoes to form another layer.
- Pour over the tomato sauce and add the basil or oregano with a little black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the dish is sizzling.
- Wine match: a light fruity red.