Roast vegetable salad with tahini and yoghurt dressing
Photo by Babiche Martens
Pearl barley is quick and simple to cook but reassuringly nourishing. Usually added to soups and stews, it's equally delicious tossed through a salad for added texture and flavour. I love the way it soaks up the dressing. First, however, toss your vegetables in a mix of spices then roast in the oven. Once done, add the spinach, barley and fresh, flavoursome dressing, and you're away.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|½ cup||Pearl barley|
|200 g||Pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm chunks|
|2||Parsnips, peeled and cut lengthways|
|200 g||Baby carrots|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Red onion, sliced|
|100 g||Baby spinach|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|125 g||Natural yoghurt|
|2 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 tsp||Runny honey|
|1 clove||Crushed garlic|
|2 tbsp||Parsley, chopped|
- Heat oven to 180 degC.
- Place the pearl barley in salted boiling water and cook for 25 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- Line an ovenproof tray with baking paper and add the pumpkin, parsnip and carrots.
- Mix to coat with the cumin, coriander paprika and oil.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, then add the onion and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Remove and cool.
- To make the dressing, combine the yoghurt, lemon juice, tahini, honey, garlic and parsley in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Toss the vegetables through the spinach and pearl barley.
- Place on a serving platter and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the dressing.