Fruit sponge cake
If you are a keen bottler, chances are you are looking for easy desserts to use up all those peaches and plums you preserved in the summer.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|3 cups||Peaches, hot stewed, (you choose the fruit) or bottled|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|25 g||Butter, melted|
|½ tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Stewed Fruit: Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer.
- When the fruit softens, take it off the heat. (You want the fruit to hold its shape as it has another 30 minutes in the oven.)
- Sponge: Heat your fruit in a pot and keep it warm while you make the sponge.
- Whisk an egg in a warm mixing bowl. When light and fluffy, add sugar and beat well.
- Sift flour and baking powder and add to the mixture alternately with milk, bit by bit, to stop it curdling.
- Stir until smooth. Put hot fruit into a baking dish.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla essence to sponge mixture and spoon it on top of the hot fruit.
- Bake in 180 degoC oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream.