Erica's Go-To Lamb Curry
Erica often garnishes her curry with onions fried in oil and a knob of butter.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|½ cup||Cashew nuts, raw|
|3||Garlic cloves, roughly chopped|
|2 tbsp||Root ginger, chopped|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Garam masala|
|1 tsp||Chilli powder|
|1 tbsp||Tomato paste|
|2||Vine ripened tomatoes, large, roughly chopped|
|3 tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|1 kg||Lamb shoulder chop|
|3||Cardamom pods, whole|
|1||Sea salt, extra|
- Masala: Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- Lamb: Heat oil in a large casserole and cook onions seasoned with salt for eight minutes or until tender and golden.
- Add masala paste and cook for four minutes, until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Cut each lamb chop into two long pieces through the natural join. Add to pan, stirring to coat in the spice paste.
- Lightly crush cardamom and add to lamb with remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt, mix well, cover and cook over a very low heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lamb is very tender and sauce reduced.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.