( SERVES 8 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 to fry||Oil|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|¼||Red onion, chopped|
|1 tbsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 pinch||Chilli flakes|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|2 tbsp||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|1 tbsp||Capers, drained|
- Peel the kumara and cube, rinse and pat dry.
- Cook in hot oil until golden, drain on paper towels. Keep the oil.
- Chop tomatoes. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and cook onion for 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Add paprika and chilli and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar and 1/3 cup water. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The mix will become thick and pulpy. Cool slightly and remove the bay leaf.
- Process with your hand blender or puree in the food processor/blender. You want a smooth consistency, so add a little water if necessary.
- Reheat the sauce and reheat the oil. Re-cook the kumara cubes ensuring they are extra crispy and drain on a kitchen towel – then place on a platter, and top with hot sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and scatter over the capers. Serve.