Mandarin Syrup Cake
( SERVES 7 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|2||Mandarins, zest & juice|
|225 g||Butter, melted|
|1 cups||Flour, sifted|
|3 tsp||Baking powder, sifted|
- Grease a 23cm tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Separate the eggs and reserve the whites. Cream the yolks and sugar.
- Add the mandarin zest and juice. Stir in the melted butter, then carefully fold in the sifted flour and baking powder.
- Whisk the reserved egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold 1 tablespoon of the beaten egg whites into the cake mixture, then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Place mixture in the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden, and the sides of the cake begin to come away from the tin.
- Meanwhile to make the glaze, combine the mandarin juice and sugar in a saucepan.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a light syrup forms. Remove from the heat and add the mandarincello.
- Remove from the oven and gently make holes in the top of the cake with a wooden skewer.
- Carefully spoon over the glaze before serving.