Condensed Milk Ice Cream
To speed up the process, put the tin of condensed milk and cream in the fridge before starting
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Blend the condensed milk, water and vanilla essence and pour into a shallow tray.
- Chill for five minutes in the freezer (I used a Tupperware slice holder which is 30cm long and 5cm deep, and has the advantage of having a lid to put on later).
- Whip the cream until thick, but not stiff. Pour the chilled milk mixture into a bowl and fold the whipped cream into it.
- Return the mixture to your tray and freeze until the outsides start to ice up.
- Put it back into the bowl and beat until mushy, but not completely melted.
- The original recipe then tells you to freeze until firm, but I found that the mixture separated if you do this.
- Instead, over the hour or so it takes to freeze properly, pull it out, put in the bowl and beat a few times to keep it airy and light before it freezes properly.
- I used a balloon whisk in order to keep it light and airy
Suggestions for flavourings: care of the Anchor book: Coconut: Add ½ cup dessicated coconut.Raspberry: Add a tin of raspberries (strained) and 2 tbsp lemon juice.Custard: Add 1/5 tbsp custard powder.Passionfruit: Add 4 tbsp passionfruit pulp.Pineapple: Add 227g tin crushed pineapple.Chocolate: Add 1 tbsp cocoa.