Chia, coconut & apricot snack bars
This is a quick & delicious snack for the lunchbox or work drawer. These bars do not contain any refined sweeteners so they're great for keeping the sweet tooth satisfied.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|¼ cup||Chia seeds|
|2 cups||Dried apricots, or mango (finely chopped and soaked in water)|
|¼ cup||Dates, (try medjool or another moist date) finely chopped|
|5 tbsp||Coconut oil, melted|
|1 pinch||Sea salt|
|⅓ cup||Flax seeds, golden, ground|
|1¼ cups||Coconut, dried|
- Blend the almond is a food processor until close to fine flour (some textured pieces are good too, they add a nice crunch) – set aside.
- Strain the water off the apricots and place half the apricots in a blender with orange juice, coconut oil & salt – blend until smooth.
- Place the almond flour, ground flax and the remaining chopped apricots, 1 cup of the coconut and all dates in a large bowl.
- Pour in the blended apricot mixture and fold together until well combined, fold the cacao nibs in if using.
- The mixture should hold together well when squeezed by hand – if it is crumbly add more date or other dried fruit.
- Line a rectangle baking tin with baking paper, sprinkle with some of the remaining coconut.
- Press the mixture into the tin. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut and press firmly.
- Chill for several hours before cutting up into bars – alternatively you could shape them into logs and roll them in coconut before chilling them.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Other delicious flavour ideas – fig and walnut, cacao and sour cherry, hazelnut with date & cacao.