Fresh tortillas with red beans, chilli and avocado
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
Refried red beans
|50 ml||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, small, brown, finely chopped|
|½||Carrot, finely chopped|
|1 stick||Celery, finely chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp||Coriander seeds, ground|
|2 tsp||Cumin seeds, ground|
|1||Long red chilli, fresh, seeds removed and finely sliced|
|3 tsp||Tomato paste, heaped|
|400 g||Red kidney beans, (1 can), drained and rinsed|
|1 can||Chopped tomatoes, 200g|
Place salad ingredients on a large platter, keeping them separate from one another. Serve with warmed refried beans, tortillas and chipotle sauce. Allow guests to help themselves and get stuck in. Use of fingers is obligatory, not to mention half the fun.
Refried red beans
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot over a low to medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook without letting it colour for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add coriander, cumin and chilli and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute then add kidney beans and tomatoes. Bring beans to the boil, lower heat and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add water and cook for a further 5 minutes. Adjust consistency with a little more water if beans are too thick.
- Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, remove from heat and keep warm until ready to use.
- Mix tortilla flour, water and salt together in a bowl until a soft dough is formed. Divide dough into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Place a ball of dough between two 15cm-round pieces of baking paper and place into a tortilla press. Press handle down firmly to form the tortilla.
- Peel dough from paper and place into a very hot heavy based frying pan (without oil) over a high heat. Cook for 40 seconds on each side. (Use 2 frying pans at the same time to speed things up.)
- Remove tortillas from heat and stack on a plate while cooking the remainder. Keep warm and serve immediately.
You can buy Maseca flour and tortilla presses online at mexifoods.co.nz