Low-Fat Vegetarian Lasagne
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|400 g||Spinach, trimmed|
|2||Carrots, small, grated|
|737 g||Pasta sauce, tomato & basil or similar pasta sauce|
|½ tsp||Fennel seeds|
|½ tsp||Chilli pepper, flakes|
|500 g||Cottage cheese, low-fat|
|150 g||Mozzarella cheese, fresh, grated|
|2 tbsp||Parmesan cheese, grated|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Steam the spinach until wilted. Place in a strainer and squeeze out the water.
- Finely chop, then squeeze again. Combine with the grated carrots.
- Combine the pasta sauce with the fennel seeds and chilli flakes.
- Beat the cottage cheese until fairly smooth. Fold in the spinach and carrots.
- Stir in the egg, mozzarella and parmesan. Set aside.
- Spread 3-4 tablespoons of pasta sauce mixture on the bottom of a 20cm oven-proof square pan.
- Top with a layer of lasagne. Spread with a 1/3 of the cheese and vegetable mixture and top with 1/3 of the pasta sauce mixture.
- Repeat, making three layers, ending with the sauce. Top with the extra parmesan.
- Cover the lasagne with foil, ensuring it does not touch the cheese on top.
- Bake for 1 hour, uncovering during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to set for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with fresh basil. Serves 6-8.