( SERVES 8 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tbsp||Self raising flour|
|1¼ cups||Besan (chickpea flour)|
|¼ tsp||Bicarbonate soda|
|1½ tsp||Flaky sea salt|
|90 ml||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1½ tsp||Smoked paprika, spanish|
|½ tsp||Cayenne pepper|
|3 tbsp||Onions, very finely chopped|
|4 tbsp||Fresh parsley, curly, finely chopped|
|300 g||Raw prawn cutlets, (defrosted and roughly chopped) or baby shrimps|
|100 ml||Olive oil, for frying|
|1 garnish||Lemon, wedges|
- Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- Mix the water and egg, add the olive oil and stir to combine, then gradually blend into the flour mixture to form a thin batter.
- Add the paprika, cayenne pepper, onion, parsley and prawns or shrimps and mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying-pan. When it begins to shimmer, drop in a large spoonful of batter for each fritter, frying 3 at a time (if you crowd the pan, the oil temperature will drop and you will end up with oily fritters).
- Fry until golden and crisp on both sides and cooked through. Ensure the batter is well spread out so the fritters will be crisp all the way through.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Serve hot in stacks with lemon wedges.
Tip: The perfect dip for these fritters is to take your favourite mayonnaise and add some Spanish smoked paprika and a touch of garlic. This makes a paprika aïoli.