Arroz branco Brazilian rice
( SERVES 8 )
Rice is a staple dish in many countries
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Place the rice in a fine mesh sieve and rinse under cold running water, until the water runs clear. Drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over low to medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- Add 3 cups (750ml) water to the rice in the pan and season with the salt.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 12 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, leave the lid on the pan, and set aside to finish cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.