Pudim de leite Brazilian creme caramel
( SERVES 12 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- To make the caramel, combine the sugar and ½ cup (125ml) water together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low to medium and simmer, brushing down the sides of the pan occasionally with cold water to prevent the sugar from crystallising, until the liquid turns a golden brown caramel colour.
- Pour into the base of a 22 cm ring tin and swirl to coat the base. Set aside for 10 minutes to harden.
- Meanwhile, to make the custard, lightly beat the eggs in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the condensed milk and full-cream milk and stir to combine. Pour into the tin.
- Place the tin in a deep baking tray and pour enough hot water into the tray to come halfway up the side of the tin.
- Bake in the oven for 90 minutes, or until the custard has set. It should be just firm to the touch.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Carefully remove the tin and set aside for 20 minutes to cool slightly, then refrigerate until completely cool.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the creme caramel, dip the base of the tin into a bowl of hot water for 15 seconds and invert onto a serving plate.