Apricot cake with sugared walnuts
|150 g||Butter, (plus 1 tbsp extra)|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|2 cups||Walnut flour, (available from Sabato, or use 1 cup flour and 1 cup ground almonds)|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ cup||Walnut halves, toasted|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
- Preheat oven to 180 degC and grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Heat a pan and add the tablespoon of butter then the sliced apricots. Let the fruit soften and caramelise, remove from the heat after 10 minutes.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale then add the yolks one at a time, combining well, then fold in the flour.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture, spoon into prepared tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Lightly oil a baking tray, then in a heavy bottomed pan, melt the extra sugar over medium heat. When it begins to bubble, add the walnuts, swirl to coat with the sugar then tip on to the oiled tray. Let cool then roughly chop. Pile the apricots and walnuts onto the cake and serve with cream.