Pork and fennel meatballs
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Soften some chopped red onion and garlic very gently in olive oil.
- Add a heap of whole cherry tomatoes, or whatever tomatoes are on hand, chopped into evenly sized pieces.
- Sprinkle in white sugar and salt.
- Dab a little tomato paste over each tomato. Cook on stove top on very low heat, cover if necessary for a while.
- Soften breadcrumbs in half the milk.
- Put all other ingredients in a large bowl and then add the breadcrumbs and milk. Combine gently with hands. Add reserved milk if necessary. The mixture should be quite moist.
- Shape into walnut-sized balls and bake on a greased tray in a 220 degC oven for 10 minutes until starting to brown.
- Remove and poach in tomato sauce for another 10-20 minutes on a very low heat on the stovetop in a pot with the lid off. Take off the heat when the sauce has reached your desired consistency.
Add a few torn basil leaves. Serve with some good quality bread, either home-made or from a bakery.