Stollen is a traditional festive cake from Germany containing dried fruit and/or candied fruit and marzipan, and is dusted with icing sugar.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|3 cups||Plain flour|
|¼ cup||White sugar|
|½ tsp||Ground cardamom|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|¼ tsp||Mixed spice|
|40 g||Active dried yeast|
|¾ cup||Milk, (lukewarm)|
|¼ cup||Butter, (melted)|
|1||Egg, (lightly beaten)|
|½ cup||Pitted cherries, (fresh or tinned)|
|½ cup||Blanched almonds, (chopped)|
|1 to brush||Butter|
|1 to dust||Icing sugar|
For almond filling
- Put the sultanas, currants and rum in a saucepan and warm over a low heat for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt together, then stir in the sugar and spices.
- In a small bowl, add the milk a little at a time to the yeast, stirring until combined then pour into the flour, gently mixing together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place such as the hot water cupboard for 30 minutes.
- Add the melted butter and egg, mix then turn on to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic, dusting with more flour if needed.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- For the filling; combine the almonds and sugars, then lemon and enough of the beaten egg to enable you to knead it to a smooth paste. Shape into a log and refrigerate.
- Punch the dough down and turn on to a floured surface. Pat into a rectangle and sprinkle on the fruit and almonds. Fold and knead the dough to incorporate the ingredients.
- Roll out into an oval and place the marzipan along the centre, then fold over the dough, making sure the top edge is slightly in from the bottom edge, press down to seal.
- Place the loaf on a greased baking tray, again cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Bake the loaf for 25-30 minutes or until it sounds hollow if tapped on the bottom. Brush the top with melted butter and cool on a rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving.