Boeuf En Daube
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 kg||Blade steak|
|1||Large onion, diced|
|1||Bouquet garni, (thyme, rosemary, parsley and a bay leaf tied together)|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1¼ cups||Red wine|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|2||Bacon rashers, chopped|
|4||Garlic cloves, chopped|
|1||Orange, 1 strip of peel|
|1 cup||Beef stock|
|8||Black olives, pitted|
- Cut the meat into 3cm cubes. Place in a bowl with the onion, carrot, bouquet garni, salt, pepper, wine and brandy.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours.
- Set the oven to 150 degC.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan. Pan-fry the bacon until crisp. Place in a heavy casserole.
- Drain the meat, reserving the marinade. Pat the meat and vegetables dry. Pan-fry in the oil in batches, until browned.
- Add to the casserole with the garlic and orange peel.
- Pour the marinade into the pan and boil until reduced by half. Add to the casserole with the stock. Cover tightly.
- Cook for 3 hours. Skim off any surface fat, add the olives and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Great served with baked or sauteed potatoes. Serves 8.