Braised pork belly with squid, chilli & herb slaw
( SERVES 6 )
My version of The Lane Vineyard's mouth-watering pork belly. The Lane chefs cooked the belly overnight at 80C. I cooked mine for 3 hours at a higher temperature.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2||Garlic bulbs, halved horizontally|
|1½ kg||Pork belly, boneless with skin, finely scored|
|1||Olive oil, to rub|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|½ cup||White wine|
Salt & Pepper Squid
|100 g||Squid tubes, baby, cut into rings|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1||Oil, for deep frying|
|½ cup||Coriander leaves, and stalks|
|½ cup||Mint leaves|
|1||Chilli, seeded, cut into rings|
|½ cup||Cashew nuts, toasted and chopped|
|2 tbsp||Capers, rinsed and drained|
|2 tbsp||White wine vinegar|
|3 tbsp||Olive oil|
- Preheat the oven to 150degC. Brush a baking dish with oil.
- Place the garlic and rosemary in the baking pan. Place the pork belly on top, skin-side up. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with more olive oil. Add the wine around the outside. Cover the meat with foil.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours. Remove the foil, baste the pork with the pan juices then continue cooking - uncovered - for 30-60 minutes or until the meat is tender. Baste occasionally.
- Transfer the pork to a clean chopping board. Cool slightly. While still warm, place a tray on top of the pork. Weigh it down using a few cans of food. Cool completely. Chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 230degC. Cut the pressed pork into individual portions or squares. Place skin-side up in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil and a generous pinch of sea salt. Roast for 15-20 minutes until the skin is golden brown and crisp. Rest the pork for 5 minutes.
- To prepare the squid, dust the rings in flour seasoned with the pepper and salt. Deep-fry for no more than 1 minute in hot oil. Drain.
- To prepare the salad, place the rocket, coriander, mint and chilli in a bowl. Combine the cashews, capers, vinegar and sugar in another bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Toss the salad and the dressing. Serve with the pork and squid rings
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL