Braised pork belly with squid, chilli & herb slaw
( SERVES 6 )
My version of The Lane Vineyard's mouth-watering pork belly. The Lane chefs cooked the belly overnight at 80C. I cooked mine for 3 hours at a higher temperature.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2||Garlic bulbs, halved horizontally|
|1½ kg||Pork belly, boneless with skin, finely scored|
|1||Olive oil, to rub|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|½ cup||White wine|
Salt & Pepper Squid
|100 g||Squid tubes, baby, cut into rings|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1||Oil, for deep frying|
|½ cup||Coriander leaves, and stalks|
|½ cup||Mint leaves|
|1||Chilli, seeded, cut into rings|
|½ cup||Cashew nuts, toasted and chopped|
|2 tbsp||Capers, rinsed and drained|
|2 tbsp||White wine vinegar|
|3 tbsp||Olive oil|
- Preheat the oven to 150degC. Brush a baking dish with oil.
- Place the garlic and rosemary in the baking pan. Place the pork belly on top, skin-side up. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with more olive oil. Add the wine around the outside. Cover the meat with foil.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours. Remove the foil, baste the pork with the pan juices then continue cooking - uncovered - for 30-60 minutes or until the meat is tender. Baste occasionally.
- Transfer the pork to a clean chopping board. Cool slightly. While still warm, place a tray on top of the pork. Weigh it down using a few cans of food. Cool completely. Chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 230degC. Cut the pressed pork into individual portions or squares. Place skin-side up in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil and a generous pinch of sea salt. Roast for 15-20 minutes until the skin is golden brown and crisp. Rest the pork for 5 minutes.
- To prepare the squid, dust the rings in flour seasoned with the pepper and salt. Deep-fry for no more than 1 minute in hot oil. Drain.
- To prepare the salad, place the rocket, coriander, mint and chilli in a bowl. Combine the cashews, capers, vinegar and sugar in another bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Toss the salad and the dressing. Serve with the pork and squid rings