Butternut, almond and apricot muffins with creme fraiche icing
I adore butternut and it’s now in season! Similar to pumpkin, it usually features in savoury dishes, however because of its slight sweetness and nutty flavour I thought it might be nice in baking, like carrot, and it was! Here is the resulting recipe.
Makes 12 medium muffins.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
Creme fraiche icing
- Heat oven to 180 degC fan-bake.
- Line a medium 12-pan muffin pan with paper cases.
- Place all ingredients, except dried apricots, in a food processor and blend until well combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in dried apricots.
- If you don’t have a food processor, simply mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well combined
- (you don’t have to worry about over-mixing the muffin batter as there is no gluten in it).
- Spoon mixture into paper cases, filling to the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Stand a few minutes before turning out. Leave to cool completely before icing.
- To make icing, mix creme fraiche with icing sugar and spread over cupcakes
Nadia recommends: The cupcakes will keep in the fridge for a week. They freeze well too.