Coconut and tamarind sambal
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|45 g||Tamarind paste, dried|
|1 cup||Water, warm|
|4||Green chillies, deseeded and cut finely|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1 tbsp||Fresh ginger, grated|
|1 cup||Desiccated coconut|
- Soak dried tamarind pulp in warm water for half an hour.
- Strain through a sieve, keep the tamarind water and discard the pulp.
- Place green chillis, deseeded and cut finely, crushed garlic and fresh ginger in a mortar and grind with the pestle.
- Add turmeric, salt and desiccated coconut and grind again, gradually adding the tamarind water until you have a thick paste.
- Keep any leftover tamarind water as you will use it later.
- Serve as a side dish.