Pinot noir matched with venison
Photo by Doug Sherring
Ask your butcher to cut some venison medallions.
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 bag||Baby beetroot|
|½ cup||Pinot noir|
- Season one large, flat, dark mushroom per person. Sit these in a roasting dish and add a little water and oil. Roast in a moderate oven.
- Cook some baby beets by simmering in a pot of water. Leave the skins on.
- In a solid pan flash fry the venison medallions and put them aside to rest.
- To make a sauce, deglaze the pan you have cooked the venison in with some beef stock.
- Add half a wine glass of pinot noir and the same of the water that the beetroot has cooked in.
- Reduce this to a sauce-like thickness. Check the seasoning and swirl in a little butter to give your sauce a shine.
- Arrange the venison, beets and mushrooms in a serving dish and pour over the sauce.
Tip: Served this with some roast kumara, baby carrots and Brussels sprouts.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL