Polenta Cake with Roasted Rhubarb and Lime Curd
( SERVES 8 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|125 g||Unsalted butter|
|3 tsp||Cream cheese|
|185 g||Self raising flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 180 degC and butter and line a 23cm springform tin.
- Cream together the sugar and butter until pale in colour and light and fluffy, then add the cream and cream cheese.
- Combine together well, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the mixture and fold it carefully in, keeping a light and airy texture.
- Add the polenta and pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 30 minutes until the centre is cooked and the top is a lovely golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool. Place the cake onto a plate and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with the rhubarb and spoonfuls of lime curd.
- Rhubarb: Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Trim the rhubarb, discarding the leaves, and with a small knife, pull away and discard the stringy outside skin of the rhubarb.
- Cut the stalks into 3cm lengths and place into a roasting dish. Add the water and sugar to the rhubarb.
- Place in the oven and cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 30 minutes. The rhubarb should have released some of its own juices and be a deep red colour.
- Carefully lift the stalks from the roasting dish, place in a container and once it is cold cover the rhubarb with the juices. It will keep for 2 weeks refrigerated.
- Curd: Grate the zest of one of the limes and set aside. Squeeze the juice from both limes and place with the sugar and butter into a saucepan.
- Beat the eggs together, stir into the saucepan and place over a low heat for 15 minutes, whisking frequently until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Pour the curd through a sieve into a bowl and stir in the zest. Set to one side until cool and then refrigerate.
- The curd will keep for 1 week, covered with cling film.