Spicy Vegetable Pies with Tzatziki
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|250 g||Greek yoghurt|
|1||Cucumber, small. peeled and grated|
|1 handful||Fresh mint, chopped|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 handful||Baby spinach, washed|
|5 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1||Aubergine, small, cut into 2cm dices|
|1||Leek, white part only, thinly sliced|
|1||Red pepper, roasted, peeled & cut into fine strips|
|½ tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 tbsp||Dried thyme, crumbled|
|¼ cup||Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, extra for garnish|
|¼ cup||Pine nuts, toasted and chopped|
|1 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|12 sheets||Filo pastry|
|3 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing|
- Combine the tzatziki ingredients and chill for at least an hour.
- For the pie filling, put the spinach in a heavy pan and cook over a low heat for about 2 minutes until wilted.
- Drain well and chop coarsely. In a large, heavy frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil and sauté the aubergine until browned on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the remaining oil to the pan and sauté the leek until soft, then add the spinach, aubergine and remaining ingredients.
- Gently stir, taste and season well. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- To fill the pies: stack the filo sheets on top of one another. Cut into 2 strips lengthwise (about 12cm wide), and place under a clean, damp teatowel.
- Working with 2 strips at a time, lightly brush a strip with oil and place a second strip on top.
- Place a twelfth of the filling on the near end of the strips, then gently take the filo corner nearest to you and fold over to the left edge to form a triangle, encasing the filling.
- Next, take the corner nearest to you and fold to the right. Keep folding until you reach the top. (As a decoration, place a parsley leaf between the 2 sheets near the top so that the leaf is visible.)
- Repeat the procedure to make 12 pies. Place the pies on a baking sheet, brush with oil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- To serve, place the pies on a platter and hand around the tzatziki separately.