Khao Niaoq Na Muan (Sticky coconut rice with fresh mango)
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 cups||Rice, (glutinnous)|
|2 cups||Coconut cream, plus extra for garnish|
|2||Pandanus leaves, (optional)|
|2||Mangoes, ripe, sliced|
|1 garnish||Sesame seeds|
- Rinse the rice well. Place in a bowl and cover with water up to 6cm above the rice. Leave to soak overnight.
- Drain the rice and place in a muslin-lined steamer (or a conical Thai rice steamer if you have one).
- Cover with a lid, then allow the rice to steam over boiling water for 30 minutes until it is translucent, softened and chewy.
- While the rice is steaming, tip the coconut cream into a separate saucepan and stir in the sugar, salt and pandanus leaves.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes over a very gentle heat. Remove from the heat, allowing the leaves to flavour the sauce.
- When the rice is cooked, remove the leaves from the sauce and pour most of it over the rice, keeping a little for drizzling over the completed dish.
- The rice should be wet, but not swimming in sauce.
- When ready to serve, spoon the rice onto individual plates, arrange mango slices or cubes beside it and garnish with a little extra sauce and sesame seeds.