Chilli squid and potato
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|4 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Sea salt|
|1 to taste||Cracked black pepper|
|2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
- Heat the oven to 180 degC. Scrub or peel the potatoes and slice thinly.
- Wash, drain and pat dry with paper towels, then toss with two tablespoons of the olive oil, plus a sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper.
- Arrange in a heavy frying pan, avoiding too many overlapping slices. Heat for a minute or two over direct heat, then place in the oven.
- Cross-hatch the inside of the squid tubes with a sharp knife and cut into 6cm x 4cm sections (each one should be about 15-18cm long).
- Chop the chillies finely, discarding the seeds if you want to lessen their heat.
- Toss the squid with the chillies, the remaining pure olive oil and the juice of one lemon.
- After 35-40 minutes, when the potato slices are golden-brown and partly crisp, heat a heavy frying pan and add the squid pieces and their marinade.
- Cook quickly, tossing constantly over high heat. They will be ready in a minute or two, when they have curled into tubes and the flesh is opaque right through (cut off a tiny piece to check).
- Arrange the potato slices on warmed plates, squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon over the squid, toss, then add to the potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, season and serve.