Chicken and Leek Cobbler
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 kg||Chicken breast, fillets, sliced into strips|
|1||Leek, finely sliced|
|1 stick||Celery, sliced|
|1 tbsp||Plain flour|
|1 cup||Chicken stock|
|1 to taste||Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1.33 cups||Self raising flour|
|¼ cup||Cheddar cheese, grated|
|100 g||Butter, cold, chopped|
|1||Egg, yolk beaten|
- Melt 25g of the butter in a pan and brown the chicken in batches, pulling out when browned and reserving.
- Add the rest of the butter and cook the leek and celery until soft.
- Put the chicken back into the pan with the vegetables and sprinkle with the flour. Cook for another minute.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the stock and cream. Mix well and then return to the heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and leave for 20 minutes. When cooked, stir in the mustard and salt and pepper. Put in a casserole dish and leave to cool.
- In a bowl rub together the flour, salt, cheese and remaining butter with your fingertips until it is the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes in boiling water, drain, then mash.
- While the potatoes are still warm add to the bowl and mix into the dough with your hands.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to 1cm thick and cut out small rounds with a cutter.
- Place these on top of the cooled chicken mixture so they overlap as cobbles would.
- Brush with beaten egg and cook in a 200 degC oven for half an hour or until the filling is bubbling up around the golden brown top.