Beetroot & Orange Chutney
Use gloves while preparing the beetroot.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1½ kg||Beetroots, raw, trimmed|
|2 tbsp||Yellow mustard seeds|
|2 tbsp||Fresh ginger, finely grated|
|1 tbsp||Cumin seeds|
|2¾ cups||Red wine vinegar|
- Peel beetroot and dice. (If you want a finer chutney then the beetroot can be grated using a food processor blade.)
- Place in a large stainless steel saucepan.Dice onions and grate pears. Add to beetroot.
- Finely grate orange rind and add together with the juice.
- Tie star anise and cinnamon stick in muslin. Add to pan with remaining ingredients.
- Boil for about 1 & 1/2 hours until chutney has thickened. Remove muslin with the spice.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
- Makes about 8 cups.