Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins
Photo by iStock
Muffins continue to be New Zealand's top mid-morning treat. And they're easy to prepare. The dry ingredients are mixed in one bowl, the liquid in another, then the two are combined until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Baking takes about 15 minutes. So in 30 minutes you can whip up and bake a simple super treat.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2||Lemons, zested and juiced|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|¼ tsp||Baking soda|
|2 tbsp||Poppy seeds|
|¾ cup||Plain unsweetened yoghurt, low-fat|
|2 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|½ cup||Canola oil|
- Preheat the oven to 200degC. Lightly oil a 12-hole muffin pan or line with paper cases.
- Place the sugar and lemon rind in a large bowl. Rub them together until the sugar is moist and aromatic with the lemon rind. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Combine the yoghurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and canola oil in another bowl, until well blended.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just moistened. Spoon into the prepared muffin holes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, and then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool.