CHOCOLATE TRIFLE WITH RASPBERRIES AND STRAWBERRIES
( SERVES 8 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|500 g||Raspberries, fresh or frozen, reserving a few for the top|
|1 sheet||Sponge cake|
|2 packets||Raspberry jelly crystals|
|125 g||Dark chocolate, plus extra to grate over the top|
|1 tbsp||Cocoa powder|
- Pick over the raspberries, reserving about 12 for the top.
- Place the remaining berries in the bottom of a large cut-glass dessert bowl.
- Cut the sponge into fingers and place in a layer on top of the raspberries.
- Dissolve the jellies in 600ml of boiling water. When cool, pour over the sponge, allowing it to soak in. Chill.
- To make the custard, melt the chocolate gently in a stainless-steel bowl, and keep aside. Beat the yolks and sugar together in a bowl until light and thick. Heat the milk with the vanilla bean in a heavy-based saucepan until it almost comes to the boil. Tip the hot milk into the egg mixture and stir well to combine. Rinse the pan in which the milk was heated, then return it to the heat and strain the egg, sugar and milk mixture into the pan. Add the cocoa.
- Carefully reheat the custard, stirring constantly until it thickens enough to coat the spoon. It’s important not to let this boil, as the mixture will curdle. If it starts to curdle around the edges, immediately remove it from the heat and whisk vigorously until it is smooth again. Discard the vanilla bean and add the melted chocolate off the heat, gently blending it in.
- When the custard is cool, tip this over the sponge and raspberries to form a custard layer.
- Finally, whip the cream lightly and spread it over to cover the top of the custard.
- Top with halved strawberries and the reserved raspberries, then grate over the extra chocolate.